Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Book Review: Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia 2008

This book came recommended to me by a friend. Basically, it is to help you with taking the right dosages of prescription drugs. I am obviously not going to read this one. It is simply a reference guide. I normal won't even take asprin, but recently my girlfriend sprained her and and a friend offered her some codeine.

I have heard of codiene before, but I haven't the slightest clue what its effects are. Her friends offer made me nervous and I was relieved that she opted to take a couple of Advil. Well she was in quite a bit of pain until we made it to the doctor's office. Guess what he prescribed, Codeine. My thing is I knew that codeine was a pain killer, and I would never encourage anyone to take prescription medicine without a prescription but I would have liked to know the dangers. At least I could have measured the benefit versus the risk and made my own decision.

I would never take prescription drugs in the States without a prescription but in a foreign country away from trustworthy doctors or in a life or death situation I would. This is a nice book for me to keep around in my suitcase for those just in case circumstances. In case you are wandering yes I am one of those people that have a suitcase in my trunk for those just in case moments in life. I also have a portable tire inflator, first aid kit, jumper cables and a small tool kit. Always be prepared. I really recommend getting a tire pump, they are quick and mine has saved me at least five or six times. Most recently I rescued my girlfriend with it and I didn't have to change her tire in the cold. It was 17 degrees that day. We simply sat in my car for five minutes and let her tire inflate.

By the way I posted a tire inflator for sale. My personal inflator is quite a bit nicer than this one, but I am sure this one will do if you haven't had one before. I have had three, I keep giving them to people who refuse to purchase their own, and no you can't have mine.

No comments: